Sunday, May 30, 2010

Something I swore I would never do...

Cloth Diapers.

I'm sure you've heard of them.

The hubby has been mentioning them for a while, but I quickly dismiss them because truthfully I find the thought of them....

Disgusting

Among other words.

Well folks, after the move me and the hubs sat down to do some budgeting. The truth is we have our heart set on a house in the near future, among other things we're saving for, and we thought it would be good to make a little road map to accomplish our goal.

I know... sounds so responsible right? ( Take a moment to be proud, go ahead :D)

Things were going dandy, until we came to the oh so dreaded "Diaper/Wipe" category.

EGADS.

The truth is Older Baby Boy is still sadly a few months away from potty training and when adding Younger Baby Boy's diapers to the mix... well, let's say the amount very nearly jawdropping.

We'd be spending more on diapers then we would be able to put towards a house... Yeah.

I was okay with it for a while, I thought I could handle that. So we don't get a house in the next 10 billion years, that's okay. If our car broke down and washer broke and the kids need new clothes... It's okay, Chris and I have two kidney's and I've heard you only need one.

Okay, so I might be exaggerating a bit :D, but you see where this is going.

Yep... cloth diapers it is.

Again, I have firmly said I would never, ever, ever do it. EVER. I then however ran into these online...
They just look so cute! One-size fits all with a fleecy inside liner and waterproof exterior. Big Boy seems to always get the worst diaper rash so maybe they will kind of help with that... maybe. They make it seem so easy (which I know it shall not be, it will be a big adjustment all the same). We got the Sage green for Little Boy and the Twilight Blue for Big Boy and surprisingly it cost the same as a month worth of diapers would have.

Still having my doubts... and lots of them, but I am willing to give it a go. We shall see if I'm going to become a firm believer.

Wish me luck! Sending a few prayers might not hurt either...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky is doing cloth diapers with her new little munchkin you should give her a call. She knows the ropes to the whole thing, good luck

Celiece said...

Eliza, you know the girl that makes those is from Springville right? They are so cute!

LIZALOU said...

Leslie I will have to give her a call... did she already have her baby? and how are you doing? You are getting pretty close right?

Celiece- I knew she was from Utah, but not from Springville! That is so cool! Yeah, these were the first ones i found that weren't the typical cloth diaper with that awful plastic cover, and at the same time something we could afford. They are so super cute!

Becky said...

I have been dabbing in the cloth diapers a bit, but just finally took the plunge and purchased a whole set. So far it has not been too bad. Yes, a little gross, but worth it in the long run. We have spent like $120.00 on the first 3 weeks of disposable diapers for our new little girl. Good luck! Please do contact me and I will shed a little light on some of this adventure for you!

Erin said...

Hi Eliza! Just wanted to say hi :) I loved reading your post, it's been a long time since we've seen you! Congrats on boy#2 almost being here!!! So exciting. Good luck with cloth diapers! You're going to be a pro in no time. And I hear that it encourages earlier diaper training as well, so perhaps a plus??